The Windsor Old Peoples’ Welfare Association was formed in 1948 to help the widows, widowers, and elder relatives of Windsor residents that fell in both world wars.
Their aim was to build a day centre on land they bought in Clarence Road, Windsor.
Over the following 10 years they raised funds with the usual Jumble, Cake and Bring and Buy Sales and a rather innovative “Buy a Brick” scheme. In 1958 the building was completed (see our photo gallery) and HM Queen Elizabeth II granted permission for the hall to be named after her father, the late King George VI. Hence the WOPWA – King George VI Day Centre.