The King George VIth Day Centre, provides a vital service to the elderly community of Windsor. The Day Centre is a safe and friendly environment, where members are encouraged to maintain their independence and well being through activities and social interaction. The Day Centre is entirely funded by charitable contributions and in the current economic environment may become the only haven in Windsor for the elderly.
We need sponsorship and/or funding that will enable us to modernise and expand our facilities and services so that the isolated and deprived elder members of our community can at least have somewhere to go for a good meal and a chat. We are happy to accept straightforward donations but if it is necessary to equate any monies to a specific objective, we have the following projects that need sponsorship:
Refurbishment and Modernisation The day Centre was purpose built in 1958 and is therefore in severe need of redecoration and modernisation to bring the building’s infrastructure up to contemporary standards.
Mini Bus The Day Centre runs a minibus service to pick up and return our less mobile members every day (Mon – Thus). The current service runs at a loss, due to the high cost of fuel, insurance and road tax. If you would like to help us to continue to run this service please donate some funds or voluteer as a a driver.
Her Majesty who is Patron has returned to visit us on many occasions, including most recently in 2018. Both her Majesty and The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead are supporters of our charity.
The Windsor Old Peoples’ Welfare Association was formed in 1948 to help the widows, widowers, and elder relatives of Windsor residents that fell in both world wars.
Their aim was to build a day centre on land they bought in Clarence Road, Windsor.
Over the following 10 years they raised funds with the usual Jumble, Cake and Bring and Buy Sales and a rather innovative “Buy a Brick” scheme. In 1958 the building was completed (see our photo gallery) and HM Queen Elizabeth II granted permission for the hall to be named after her father, the late King George VI. Hence the WOPWA – King George VI Day Centre.